Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It takes the word free to excite me

How many of us like getting stuff especially if it has the word free/gratuit attached to it?
I did not do a lot of research on this as I have used this guys before. Last year when the husband was about to graduate I used VistaPrint to order his business cards and they were free (Only paid for shipping), I checked again before I wrote this post and they still have free templates and operate in different countries from Australia to Ireland.
What is even better is they have free pens and car door magnets(I'd put it on my fridge) which can double up as book swag.

Now I know this might not be an original idea, but I started editing my book yesterday and I was reading the lines I wrote and I could not help thinking to myself how some of them would look good in a valentine's day card.
Then it hit me why can't writers be freelance writers for greeting card companies? actresses model for L'Oreal all the time. Anyways you guessed it I went digging for more info, the consensus is to send the companies a letter asking for their submissions guidelines (most of them don't really display that sort of info online but some do). They also don't pay a lot but if you get the gig it should be able to pay for a mani/pedi or more depending on how romantic and witty you are.

October has been a lucky month for me, I won 3 contests from Talli Roland, Michele Hauf and Madeleine over at Scribble and Edit. Don't forget we have a book giveaway on Friday and 2moro we shall be talking about genres and rejection.
Have a beautiful day
This is Bastia

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your contest wins!

    Couple of weeks ago I read about a greetings card website where you can view the card images and then submit what you think would be an appropriate text and you get paid if they accept. The name of the company was something like Shade Tree.

    Love the photo of Bastia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on winning those contests! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free is one of the most beautiful words in the world!! Along with the pic you've posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanx everyone I just get lucky some months,
    @Ben 2 books and a writers care pack

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Well done you - you're on a roll, enter some car/house competitions now and buy a lottery ticket!

    Sorry, I pinged it off before I'd finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cleaning up on the contests, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A congratulation on your contest wins. I’m very happy for you. And that’s a great idea about the greeting cards, go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just put your book in the post today, Joanna! Hope it gets to you soon!

    PS - I love Vistaprint!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you Joanna - come by my blog, I have an award to add to your stash of goodies dear! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Joanna, congrats to you on your contest wins. You've been a busy little beaver.

    Love the word free, but you've gotta watch it on the net. Last night the husb was trying to load this program that was FREE so after all the registration, blah blah it comes to the end where it says, now you pay buster. After trying 3 different sites which said what he wanted was FREE he gave up. Nice way to waste a few hours!

    Pitching to publishers. Now that is much scarier.

    Love the pic as usual. Haven't been there..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW. I want to live in Bastia.
    And three contests huh? You are a lucky woman.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lets add one more book to that I just won another today from Jessica Barksdale Inclan. i officially love october 2010.
    Thanks guys am still jumping at all my opportunities
    @L'aussie I am still working on my internet Bull locator I shall soon have it ready and patented, tell ur DH to hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, it is your lucky month. Good thing for me that you visit my blog. Maybe some of your luck will rub off. I'd love to win a contest! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for free! And congrats on all the goods.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love winning contests!!! Congratulations!! I just won The Hunger Games trilogy the other day and got it in the mail! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joanna, I love the idea of writing greeting cards but I'm a bit scared of how they would be received. I'd write cards for cheating ex-boyfriends, girlfriends who 'borrow' your stuff/look better in it than you do/then never give it back, girlfriends with icky boyfriends, girlfriends who want your boyfriend, boy friends who want your boyfriend....what do you think? Maybe I should stick to my WIP huh? Love your blog and congrats on all your wins!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Writing greeting cards! That seems like a cool job. I would love to write funny ones. I love those.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love getting things for free. In fact, I find it so hard to not download all the free kindle books even if I'm not interested (even though I now have more than twenty I haven't read for this very reason).

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, so go on & make my day