Sorry my post is coming late, I had to go and get lost and then listen to a man and a lady argue in french on what the right way is (They both were not very helpful, thank God for the pharmacist)
Today we are talking about writing a synopsis, I shall share with you my method for writing a synopsis and you can share what works for you .
For the last time this week let me start by reciting the pantser allegiance pledge. For most of my WIPs the only thing I do before I write it down is write the synopsis. At this stage I am under no pressure and I am still in my happy go lucky "this wip is going to be a bestseller" stage so writing what the story is about flows out from me easily.
Now obviously we all know about that saggy middle when everything begins to unravel and your characters start to hide things from you and you realize this cannot work this way - its unbelievable!
At that point obviously the earlier synopsis becomes a pipe dream but I still hold on to it, then when I am done with the WIP I start to summarize each chapter to about a paragraph but I still keep it detailed.
After that I copy from 1st and 2nd synopsis and get it all into one document et voila! I have a synopsis.
Other things I have learnt is
- Keep it interesting
- Be as detailed as your space allows
- No direct quotes from the WIP
- Most agents/editors prefer between 2-5 pages, if you go over you better make it really epic
- I personally prefer anything double spaced, all the professional documents I have seen have always been double spaced (my last synopsis was 1.75 sshh).
- Don't put yourself under any pressure you are the same awesome person who just finished a manuscript, just let your passion shine through.
Tomorrow is the day when we jointly critique a synopsis constructively, remember when I made you all sign your names in blood to do that? you don't? its okay I glamorized you but I have the signed papers so dont bother bailing out on me now.
|This is Corsica|
|Inside the St. Nicholas Cathedral (Cathedrale de Monaco)|
|Same place, this is where Grace Kelly is buried|